Today was my first time teaching fifth graders. It has been a very different experience being with bigger kids versus the cute little early childhood kids (which I miss very much). I have only been in a fifth grade classroom for two days so it's not like I have a grasp on what it is really like, but I would not say I am opposed to teaching fourth or fifth grade. I just prefer the younger kids.
Anyway, back to my lesson...I would say it went alright. It's like I know in my head what and how I am supposed to teach the lesson, but it doesn't always turn out that way. Plus, I always seem to be so unsure of how the first lesson will go, which makes things more uneasy. I know I did some good things today, but there were also some things I could have done better. It's all a learning experience, though, and that is why I reflect and reflect and reflect on my lessons.
The best part about my lesson today was when I gave the "teacher look." Anyone who has been in school knows what I'm talking about. I clearly remember when my fifth grade teacher, Celeste, (I love her to death to this day) gave the teacher look one day and then asked for a mirror because she didn't believe she had such a look. Well, today there was a boy in my class who kept chatting away, so I gave him "the look" (as I was giving him this look, I thought to myself, "Wow, I have found my teacher's look.") and he immediately quit talking and smiled sheepishly at me. Success! I can move on with my teaching career because I now have the infamous teacher's look. Now I just need to perfect it... :D
All you need to be a good teacher is a good, frightening look... well, not the only thing, but it sure does help. :-) Can't wait to see it!
ReplyDelete