Sunday, July 10, 2011

ESL Summer Practicum

My practicum is over, but I wrote a few things during it that I never actually posted until now.

6.15.11
Buenos tardes! Here is a little update on the practicum I have to complete to finish off my ESL minor. I have completed three days of fifteen of my ESL (English as a Second Language) summer practicum in Lexington, and I am working with their Migrant Education Program. Due to budget cuts, I will only with students for a total of 8 days, four with K-5 and four with 6-9. The rest of my time will be spent planning and doing home visits.

It has been quite the experience thus far. I work with two other ladies, and this week has been planning for their summer program, which is the next two weeks. These two ladies are hilarious, quite the pair! I have been laughing and laughing with them (oh, and getting work done, too!).
The lady I mainly did home visits with is a Christian, and it was so neat being around her and being encouraged in Christ! There is something about meeting another Christian and the deeper connection that comes with it! Also, this lady was from Jamaica and was thrilled to know I have been to Jamaica!

The other lady is a Catholic, and yesterday I had the opportunity to talk about spiritual things and share the gospel with her. I hate the hour drive down there and the hour drive back, plus all money to fill the gas tank, but God has reasons for everything, and maybe he has divinely placed me in this summer program to point that lady to Christ. She has lots of head knowledge, but it hasn't reached her heart. I would appreciate it if you prayed for her!

6.26.11
Tomorrow is the beginning of my last week. I have been extremely busy with driving to and from Lexington during the week, going to work right after my practicum time is up for the day. I will be happy when it is all over so I won't have to drive so long every day, but I have enjoyed spending time with the students and with the two teachers.

One of the ladies is an avid hot tea drinker and has inspired me to start drinking hot tea again (I had drank it some during the school year because of my roommate but hadn't had any for awhile). She adds a little bit of honey and some lemonade mix to her tea...mmmm...delicious!
Anyway, I'm a little nervous and perplexed for this week because I will be teaching the older students (6-9th grade) when I am used to working with the younger ones. I guess we will see how things go.

7.10.11
My practicum has been over with for a week now, and I have enjoyed not having to fill my gas tank every 2 1/2 days! haha But I keep thinking about the opportunity that is out there to minister to families in a program like the one with which I worked. Doing home visits was such a neat opportunity to really connect with the families and make an impact on their lives. (I wish I spoke Spanish, though!  but I tagged along being the "shy" and "dumb" practicum student, not really being able to communicate with the parents.)

I believe that much of the Christian life is built on relationships, ultimately our relationship with Christ, and I loved seeing how the Jamaican lady interacted with the students and their families, showing genuine care and being that light for Christ. As much as I want to teach in the regular school system, I am completely open for serving Christ in the capacity of ESL. 

I will close with a few pictures from my experience.

some of the students practicing volleyball during their recess time
cuties!
We took them to a park for a nature walk. They were so interested in every ant, bumblebee, and sprig of grass they saw!

Add caption

silly faces! 
I had the students make an American flag (and I helped them out a bit). We also discussed the meaning of each color and symbol.
then they made a flag out of m&ms.



final product!

Next, I had them do a transfer map: I drew a grid on the cement and numbered the squares. I gave them a map of the US with that same grid. They chose a few squares and recreated a map of the USA. Then we played a relay game using the map. Lots of fun and lots of learning!


They went on a nature walk, as well. They were not as interested in all the creepy crawlies but they still enjoyed being out in nature.

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like a great experience for learning and building relationships. Exciting to think about what your future may hold with all your diverse experiences thus far and upcoming:)

    ReplyDelete