Saturday, January 29, 2011

Preschool

This past week for class we got to observe a preschool class in the mornings. Let's just say I absolutely loved it! Now, people ask me all the time what grade I want to teach, and I really have no clue yet because I have loved every grade I've observed (Pre-K, 1st, & 2nd). After this week, though, I would love to be a preschool teacher.

Anyway, I had tons of fun interacting with the kids and reading them "big books." I just discovered big books last semester, and the preschoolers absolutely loved them! Today I read The Gingerbread Man, and instead of printing the word gingerbread man, the book had a little picture of a gingerbread man. So, I told the little preschooler I was reading to, "Now you have to help me out here. Every time you see this picture (and pointed to it), you have to say 'gingerbread man.'" Oh boy, did he LOVE it! Some of the other kids joined in, and they wanted me to read the book again and again! I guess you know when you're in the right major when you are enjoying your classes and loving the experiences in a real classroom.


This week was multicultural week, and today was the focus was on Italy. So, to be just like Michelangelo, the kids painted their own "Sistine Chapel." I had never thought of this idea before, but the teacher taped paper underneath the tables and the kids laid on their backs and colored, or "painted" and discovered a little bit of what it might have been like for Michelangelo.

One of the student's families had lived in Italy for awhile and brought back hand-painted masks, which everyone wanted to try on. :) Masquerade, I would say!



The kids were so adorable and I fell in love with them even in a few short days. What's it going to be like when I am in the same classroom all day for 2 weeks and then 4 weeks at a time? 

A few of the kids were missing, but this is most of the adorable preschoolers!
Well, I love working with kids and helping them learn, so now I am just praying that I will be a good teacher when I actually begin teaching lessons and that God will give me extra compassion, patience, humility, enthusiasm, and all those teacher-y qualities! =)  eeek!

1 comment:

  1. Aw, they seem like such cute kids! I'm glad you enjoy preschool age... they're so fun. :)

    ReplyDelete