Saturday, August 6, 2011

Thankfulness

The other day I was reading the Daily Bread and that particular day was about thankfulness in all circumstances. It brought me to Psalm 30. This was so fitting for where I am at right now. It has not been the best summer for me. Yes, I love my job at the daycare/preschool but along with my two other jobs, I work seriously ALL the time. I feel like I have been inundated with work, leaving little time for family, friends, and a social life. I did school up until the beginning of June, completed a 3-week practicum this summer, and studied for a Praxis test that was at the end of July. I am still trying to finish up paperwork and such from the practicum (Shhh! I have procrastinated on that one), and the last thing I really want to do is go back to school in a few weeks. I have had no vacation this summer and feel like I haven't stopped all summer. I get a few hours here and there for a break but there is always something to be done. I can never just rest and do nothing without something lingering over me head. Now I have worries about all my upcoming expenses with school; where is the money gonna come from?

Needless to say, Psalm 30 summed up a good reminder for me in the midst of my trivial trials:
1 I will exalt you, LORD,
   for you lifted me out of the depths
   and did not let my enemies gloat over me.
2 LORD my God, I called to you for help,
   and you healed me.
3 You, LORD, brought me up from the realm of the dead;
   you spared me from going down to the pit.
 4 Sing the praises of the LORD, you his faithful people;
   praise his holy name.
5 For his anger lasts only a moment,
   but his favor lasts a lifetime;
weeping may stay for the night,
   but rejoicing comes in the morning.
 6 When I felt secure, I said,
   “I will never be shaken.”
7 LORD, when you favored me,
   you made my royal mountain stand firm;
but when you hid your face,
   I was dismayed.
 8 To you, LORD, I called;
   to the Lord I cried for mercy:
9 “What is gained if I am silenced,
   if I go down to the pit?
Will the dust praise you?
   Will it proclaim your faithfulness?
10 Hear, LORD, and be merciful to me;
   LORD, be my help.”
 11 You turned my wailing into dancing;
   you removed my sackcloth and clothed me with joy,
12 that my heart may sing your praises and not be silent.
   LORD my God, I will praise you forever. 

Yeah, life may not be the greatest it could be right now, but there is just so much I can be thankful for! I had to take a step back and take a good look at me life. What am I truly thankful for? I have Christ living inside me, to start! I have 3 jobs to earn some money; I have a wonderful family. I go to a great school. I have amazing friends. I could go on.

It is a hard thing to do, but I am trying to look at the glass half full and find those things that I am thankful for. It's amazing how much brighter your day can be when you focus on what you do have!

This summer hasn't been all a drudge. I have had some fun :) Here are a few pics.

Hope you enjoy the last few weeks of summer!
Family reunion: one of my favorite cousins
at one of Andrew's baseball games (by the way-Andrew is headed to Asbury University on a baseball scholarship! Praise the Lord that He led Drew to the right college and provided money to go there.)
Andrew with his girlfriend, Leah, at the Reds game
joshie-poshie!



MercyMe concert after the Reds game

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Jenny!
    Great reminder with Psalm 30 concerning thankfulness!
    dr. s

    ReplyDelete