Good afternoon! I've been meaning to blog before now and I am always thinking of things I can blog about but time is the kicking factor. This post will have to be catch-up-on-my-life post; lots of fun things have been going on! ^_^
Monday's Lesson
I taught my little kindergarteners about globes and maps. I wanted them to be able to differentiate between water and land and between a globe and map. The lesson went alright; it was a little hard to keep them interested, but they loved my activity! I gave them a blank map and had them glue pieces of green crepe paper to the land and blue crepe paper to the water. They said, "We never do fun things like this in the morning!" hehe
As I was showing them a map of the world, I had a few kids come up and circle the continents. When I got to the seventh one (Antarctica), I had a mind blank and couldn't remember what it was. I felt so stupid! At least the little kindergarteners didn't know any better. (side note, is kindergarteners not a word? My spell check always underlines the word in red. What's up with this?) Unfortunately, though, on my evaluation sheet for the lesson, I got marked down for not knowing the content area. I really am not stupid. haha :) It was pretty funny, though!
Bible Study on Wednesday
During Bible study Wednesday evening, we discussed Ecclesiastes 1. This book was written by Solomon when he was older and looking back over his life. We particularly looked at the words "meaningless," "vapor," "vanity," and "futility" and how those fit into the context of the book.
Vanity - excessive pride in one's appearance
Futility - having no useful result, talkative, uselessness, serving no purpose
Vapor - barely visible, insubstantial
Meaningless - unimportant, senseless; without significance, purpose or value
Basically, these words that Solomon uses indicate that this is what our life is apart from God. What does it matter if we gain tons of wealth and possessions, get promoted in our career, and author many books if none of it promotes the glory of God? We can't take anything with us when we die, and we won't be remembered years down the road, so we have to make our life count for Christ and invest our time in the things that do last for eternity, people and God's Word.
I thought it was interesting that a meaning of futility is talkative because in chapter 5 verse 6 and 7b, it says "Don't let your mouth get you into sin....many words are meaningless. Therefore stand in awe of God." More words isn't always best, and it is better to speak less and just acknowledge God's presence and devote thought and praises to Him.
As our discussion continued, we started questioning the word "vapor" and why our lives are compared to a vapor. Yes, vapors are quickly passing and so is our life, but there has to be a deeper meaning. This is what we came up with: Vapor is just steam but the real focus is the boiling water. The vapor comes from the boiling water, obviously. God is like that boiling water, and our lives are the vapor; therefore, we come from Him, but He is the only One that really matters. So, why does it seem like we are always focused on the vapor (steam) instead of focusing on God (boiling water)? This little analogy made the whole concept of vapor more clear for me and made me think about what I am focusing on. I am the first to admit that I think about myself way too much. I want my little vapor of a life to count for Christ, and that won't happen when I am focused on things that don't matter and won't last in the end.
Thursday Excursion
Ever since freshmen year, the four of us girls have stayed such good friends, have always lived together, and are capable of laughing extremely hard for five minutes straight!
![]() |
| pic from freshman year |
We had a little outing today that was just the four of us, like old times. We went to Chipotle, using our lovely buy one-get-one-free coupons. We downed our burrito bowls and headed to visit one of our dear friends while she was at work. On our way back, we stopped by McDonalds for some ice cream (don't worry, going to McD's isn't a normal occurrence for us). On our way back to school, we laughed and laughed and laughed! I just love these girls!
| We actually don't have a recent picture of just the four of us, so here it is broken up by roomies! |
KINDERGARTEN!!!
It is funny to think how different kindergarten is these days compared to what it was like when I was in kindergarten. Things are way more interactive and hands on, and the students actually do centers, or stations. The students are also expected to do more, like read a certain number of high frequency words, read little books, write two connecting thoughts and illustrate them, and write without reversals. (Okay, to be honest, I don't remember all that I did in kindergarten, so some of this may have been required back in the day and I just don't remember.)
Anyway, I had the best experience in the classroom thus far! I loved every minute being with the kids and talking with their teachers about anything and everything when it comes to kindergarten and teaching! God blessed me so much by allowing me to be in a classroom with exceptional cooperating teachers! It was great to be there all day and see how my teacher did things throughout the day. She had a great classroom management system with lots of rewards and incentives. The thing I liked best about her philosophy was the positive reinforcement she incorporated in her classroom. Who knows how kids get treated at home, but to have a positive environment at school is so important! I could go on and on about this experience and things I liked about my teacher and her classroom!
After being with this class for a few weeks and teaching two lessons, I have some more confidence about doing this whole teaching thing. It seems more doable than what I thought before. There have been many times this semester where I questioned if I was even in the right major! haha It is just so different being in class and learning how to teach versus actually experiencing a real classroom and teaching little kids. There is no doubt in my mind about wanting to be a teacher because I love being with kids, love teaching them, and love watching them learn! It's the best! Although I still have a long way to go when it comes to being a great teacher, I can't wait to finally have my own class in my own classroom!
So Friday was my last day with this class! It was quite a sad day! Several of the girls would not let go of me because they didn't want me to leave! Uh, it broke my heart! I can't imagine being their teacher for a whole year and then saying bye at the end of the year! Anyway, I baked cookies for all of them, which they gobbled up quickly, and then the teacher had all the students gather on the carpet for a special treat. She gave me three Dr. Seuss books (how did she know I loved books?!? ;) and then asked the kids what they like about me. Most of them said, "I love you, Miss Moran!" and one little boy said, "I liked the way you always helped us." Talk about melting my heart right then! At the end of the day, she told the kids they could give me a hug, and several of them gave me two and three hugs! Man, I could just squeeze them to death they were so cute and sweet! A couple of them gave me a kiss, too! Do you think it would be okay if I just skipped class from now on and just helped out in this kindergarten class the rest of the year? I would absolutely LOVE it and the teacher would, too! :) I only wish!
So Friday was my last day with this class! It was quite a sad day! Several of the girls would not let go of me because they didn't want me to leave! Uh, it broke my heart! I can't imagine being their teacher for a whole year and then saying bye at the end of the year! Anyway, I baked cookies for all of them, which they gobbled up quickly, and then the teacher had all the students gather on the carpet for a special treat. She gave me three Dr. Seuss books (how did she know I loved books?!? ;) and then asked the kids what they like about me. Most of them said, "I love you, Miss Moran!" and one little boy said, "I liked the way you always helped us." Talk about melting my heart right then! At the end of the day, she told the kids they could give me a hug, and several of them gave me two and three hugs! Man, I could just squeeze them to death they were so cute and sweet! A couple of them gave me a kiss, too! Do you think it would be okay if I just skipped class from now on and just helped out in this kindergarten class the rest of the year? I would absolutely LOVE it and the teacher would, too! :) I only wish!
I am thankful that God has extra compassion and love to extend to me as I do teach kids! I know He is the One that has given me the desire and ability to teach, so I don't want to go through my schooling and then career without giving Him all the glory!
Enjoy your weekend!

No comments:
Post a Comment