I am in my last few days of field experience. *Sigh* I can't believe six weeks has flown by so fast! Whew. I have really enjoyed being in third grade, and I just have to share a funny conversation I had today with one of the girls:
Julia - turned in her math paper to me
Me: "Gracias. (confused look on Julia's face) That means 'thank you' in Spanish."
Julia: "I know." I thought, oh okay.
Me: "'Xie Xie ni' is 'thank you' in Chinese." (Julia gave me the look like 'that's kinda strange that you know that.')
Julia: "Do you know how to say thank you in, uh, Japanese?" (Okay, how funny is it that the next language she picked was a country I have visited before and just happened to know how to say the words?)
Me: "Yep, it's 'arigato.'' (Julia gave me the most dumbfounded, could-not-believe-it look!)
Julia: "Are you just making that up?"
Me: "No, that is really how you say it. I have been there before."
Julia just walks away with a confused look of awe. I just died laughing. Of all the languages to choose, and she picked one that I knew how to say 'thank you.' And, oh, if I only had her a picture of her face! Priceless!
Haha... Cute story! It's always fun to know little phrases like that when people randomly ask about it. I did that to my lil sis not long ago. She has friends she met in South Africa from Brazil, and she was like 'do you know how to say thank you in Portuguese?' And I said "Yep, it's obrigada. Well, for me it is, cause I'm a girl. For him it would be obrigado." Her response? "Oh. You do know." lol :)
ReplyDelete